Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dear John

Over the weekend we went to see the new movie, Dear John. Sarah is an avid reader of Nicolas Sparks and we pretty much go to any movie that has been made based on one of his novels. I hadn't read the book, therefore I thought the movie was going to be about a divorce.

You know, Dear John.......I'm leaving.....blah, blah, blah.......it's not you it's me......blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, I was wrong.

True to any Nicolas Sparks novel, I knew how to prepare myself. I knew there would be young (or old) love, a "honeymoon period," separation, possible death, a reuniting, a wedding perhaps?, South Carolina scenery and a lot of crying.

Let's say I got six out of eight - but I won't elaborate.

Channing Tatum. Hmmmmm, I kept telling Sarah that I felt like I actually knew him from somewhere. He played his part very convincingly - sortof a introverted, socially awkward military guy. Now perhaps I felt like I knew him because I used to live in a town with a couple Navy bases and near an Air Force base. Who knows. Let me just say this, I don't see poor Channing winning many Oscars in his day, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

And this Amanda person. The girl from Mama Mia! Ummmm, asking $7.5M per picture? Really? Seriously? I mean, more power to you, but wow.

So my overall opinion of the movie? Not bad.

The ending made me want to kill the lady in novelty sweater next to me. I think when the credits started rolling I said, "what???" like 15 times out loud. It was slightly annoying.

And by slightly I mean very.

It's a good date night movie. It won't change your life at all (not like Dumb and Dumber or anything), but it was a pretty good movie.

I give it three out of five.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well thanks--I am going to see it today (my day off) by myself--so I can cry my eyes out in private thank you very much----wait till you read the book The Last Song--totally you matthew--and I might add that I made a fool of myself in Crackerbarrell crying while reading--shoould I know better than to rad one of his books in public--you would think---but I must say it was very good--I will make more comments AFTER you read it---get ready!!!
Mom