Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Just Call Me Ty Pennington


Actually, don't call me Ty Pennington.

I mean, I suppose I could run around screaming at the top of my lungs while shirtless and sweating, but surely people would begin to think I was possessed by the devil or some other evil spirit.

Move that bus!!!!

LOL. That was funny for about two seconds and somehow I've hurt my own feelings.

Bless my heart.

But anyway, we've completed project #1 on our 2010 Home Projects To Be Completed task list. That project was converting a 1/4 bath into a walk-in pantry, or as I like to call it, my Butler's pantry.

No. It isn't a traditional butler's pantry, but it makes me feel special.

I've mentioned before that this "bathroom" consisted of just a toilet which was situated way too far from the wall. A waste of space in monumental proportions. So we decided to take it out and add shelves. See below.



Our 1/4 "bathroom." For those of you wondering, that lovely shade of yellow is Pismo Dunes by Behr. Notice the shiny TOTO toilet. (The name brand means nothing to me, I just enjoy that it's TOTO. I look at the name and read it out loud every time I go tee-tee in it. Except I've never used that specific toilet because there's always been too much stuff in there.)


Now, toilet removed with a lovely grey circle courtesy of Mize Plumbing.


Toilet removed with lovely grey circle and now vertical supports for shelving added courtesy of Coastal Craftsmen & Property Maintenance.


Actual shelving put in place courtesy of Matthew's Contracting Services with the guidance (and mind-changing) of Sarah's I-Have-The-Perfect-Place-And-Idea-For-That-Oh-Wait-I-Think-I-Want-It-Somewhere-Else Service.


Shelves in place, stocked with all the contents from under washer and dryer storage, and laundry shelving. It now looks totally different from our spending spree in Sam's this past weekend - I should have photographed it with all it's new stock. Oh well.

Total Project Cost - $300
Total Project Time - 1 day
Key Project Learnings - closet shelving isn't the greatest choice for heavy items. Either use pantry shelving (but that has the weird bracket system) or just buy more vertical supports for the drywall areas.)

Hope you enjoyed!




7 comments:

The Traveling Turtle said...

yes, thtt is 12 bottles of Arm and Hammer "green" solutions all purpose cleaner you see in the top left corner. And, no, they were not some crazy Sam's Club splurge. They are what was left over after I gave away several bottles from a House Party I "hosted" by Arm and Hammer. It works really well, and it's green (in color and chemical solution).

Now, on to the crown moulding. After we get the other closet in Celie's new room siutaed. That is only really a 2 hour project though, so I am not sure it really counts.

Marci said...

Great job by all the companies involved! I was wondering why there was store shelf full of cleaning bottles but Sarah clarified that for me. Walk in pantries or "butler's" pantries are so nice. Enjoy!

Sarah M. said...

Very nice White family!!! I know that your hearts probably leap for joy every time you walk by it...and get to USE it!

Jenny said...

I thought you had a whole top shelf of olive oil. I love the project. Good use of space. It is so nice to cross something OFF the list. I wish my lists did not grow and grow after each project gets done. I always think of something new and improved. Keep it up, Ty.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Ty. I think that is a perfect solution for that "bathroom" you guys hated. And? What in the world is an Arm & Hammer House Party? It must be a party for cleaning freaks, which is why I know nothing about it!

Punkin said...

What happened to the toilet, you know you can sell it? A Toto is high dollar and I love ours. About the new room (Celie) wonder if she doesn't like the new room???? Please let her sleep on the floor with a matress so she won't fall out of bed.

The Traveling Turtle said...

we have a plan for the TOTO, it is part of a trade agreement.

We are really talking Celie's big girl room up to her, I am sure she will like it (even if it is not right away) b/c there is going to be a lot more room for her to play and spread out. I am worried she will miss her crib (I know I will). We are doing the bed on a frame (and upholstered headboard)and putting it against the wall. The exposed side will have the guard rail up. She will be 100% OK. I promise.