Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Commit

We had our first day with our trainer yesterday. I was sweating like a stuck hog when it was all over. That lady worked me like it was her job – which I suppose it was. Anyway, it was a great workout. Not only am I scared to death of this woman, but I also respect her very much. She is an absolute authority on all things fitness. She’s all about circuits and confusion and heart rates (which I didn’t even know existed) and reps and blah, blah, blah. She totally commands respect in the gym and is always overly bubbly and enthusiastic (two traits that I love/hate).

I really need to say to you all. Weight loss is possible – for anyone. I am a prime example. I am nowhere near my goal weight or size, but the difference I feel in my body is amazing. I promise, if you want it, you can have it. You simply have to come to the place in your mind where you fully commit. We finally reached that place together. I have been heavy for my entire adult life. I always used the excuse, “but I love food so much.” People, that’s not an excuse – that’s complete denial that you are where you are. I have been in denial about my weight for years. The fact that I have great taste in clothes only helped me cover it up. I just bought bigger, but still looked nice on the outside.

It all finally clicked with me one night watching The Biggest Loser. One of the contestants was sent home and the look on his daughters face when he got home was unbelievable. She was so innocent. So pure. So happy to see her daddy. You know, our children didn’t ask for us to be fat and unhealthy. They want us to play with them. They want us to carry them on our shoulders. They want us around for a really, really long time. That’s where I made my connection – with Celie. My laziness wasn’t fair to her, so something had to change.

I promise you – you can change your body. You can make a difference in your health. Is it easy? NO! Without question it’s one of the hardest things you’ll ever do – especially if you’re comfortable. You have to do it! You can be the change! Your first two weeks are going to be a nightmare. You’re going to hate yourself. You’re going to want to go to McDonalds – BUT DON’T DO IT. Keep that image in your mind. I keep this vision of Celie in mine all the time. We were at the beach the other weekend and she was just walking around, playing with everything. I thought, “in a couple years, she’s going to want me to build sandcastles with her. And she’s going to want me to swim with her. And she’s going to want to go to a water park and I have to be able to give her that.”

YOU CAN DO IT.

I want to give you some tips that have helped me.

1) Plan, plan, plan – when you finally decide to get healthy, clean out your pantry and refrigerator. Then go to the grocery store. Buy healthy snacks. Buy breakfast items (YOU MUST EAT BREAKFAST). Buy veggies, good oils and whole grains. Make a meal schedule and just plan accordingly. It is so hard to do, but once the routine is down, it’s smooth sailing.

2) Exercise – start simply with walking. Start walking for 20 minutes per day. Don’t run. Don’t lift weights, just start walking. As 20 minutes becomes easy, start tracking it by distance. Start with a mile. Then a mile and a half. Then power walk. By this point, you’ll want to add more into your regime. Then start doing some weight training. You don’t have to join a gym. Use your own body. Use things around the house. New parents – this is going to be hard for you, but I promise – YOU CAN DO IT!!!

3) Water, water, water – you have to drink water. Go ahead and make the decision to stop with the sweet tea, soda, juice and sugary powder drinks. Try to get in eight servings of water. It makes all the difference.

4) Mini-meals – you have to eat to burn. Breakfast, then snack, lunch, then snack, dinner. Nice, small, mini meals.

I’m really serious when I say it IS possible. I’m finally under 240. I haven’t seen under 240 in YEARS. I haven’t seen my 4th belt loop in a longer time than that. I promise, these little accomplishments are nothing but straight motivation. Keep that image in your mind of your child, spouse or other family member you care so much about. You want to be around for them. You owe it to them.

Are there days I don’t want to do it? Yes. Are there days that I just want fast food? Yes. Are there days that I just want to stop? Yes. But you HAVE to push. You HAVE TO. It’s not fair to my family that I am fat. My parents deserve more than me being fat. Sarah deserves more. I need to be a husband that she can be proud of. My daughter deserves more.

YOU CAN DO IT.

I will help you. Sarah will help you. We’ll share our secrets, our recipes, our workouts, whatever it takes. We will help and encourage you. We’ll be your accountability partners if you want. We’re by no means role models, but we’re committed and we will help.

If you want our help, just leave a comment with your email address and we’ll contact you and help you. We’re not experts, but we do know what has worked, and plus, we are using a trainer now.

ALSO – there are two top secret things to eat to melt the fat away while eating healthy and exercising. I’m only sharing those with commenters who request it.

Remember – YOU CAN DO IT. Commit. Make the decision in you mind that nothing is going to stop you. NOTHING. No one, no thing, no insecurity, nothing!

We’ll help – just reach out!!!!

9 comments:

Marci said...

Matthew, that post was so inspiring. It actually made me cry which I hate to admit. You and Sarah are doing so well and I can see that it's an actual life style change instead of a "diet."

I too think about the kids and how much more I would feel like doing with them if I wasn't carrying so much weight around.

I keep starting what I think is a healthy life style and then something gets me down and I eat to feel better. God should be my comfort not food.

Thank you for posting about this. I am going to start today with the tips you have given and I'm very interested in the foods that melt the pounds away and any other advise you and Sarah can give.

Love,

Marci

Punkin said...

Ok Matthew, your are right!!!! I am guilty!
HELP!!!!!
How about giving an example of a one day meal plan, Breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner
I know the water thing, I like to drink water.But I DO NOT LIKE TO EXERCISE, maybe a walk in the morning? I am not going to do gym stuff but walking I will try:):)
I have started taking the Aici berry 100% berry, but I need to walk so I will try today.
Thanks for your inspiration!!
Love
Mama

The Traveling Turtle said...

Just so you know.... I would be PROUD of you no matter what weight, size or belt loop you were on. :) I love you. Keep up the great work!

Jennifer said...

Matthew, I am so happy for you and Sarah both. I know that Celie will be very appreciative one day. Keep up the great work!

Stefanie said...

Matthew, I've told Sarah this but not you....I am incredibly inspired by you two and your commitment to your new lifestyle. If anyone knows how hard it is to change it's me. Having a wonderful spouse to encourage you is the best thing in the world. We're both lucky to have that. Keep up the good work and let me say that you guys keep me going on the days I don't want to workout. I think, if they can, I can.

Of course I want to know the food secrets.

Keep up the amazing work and keep us updated on your progress!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I should notify my friend about your post.