Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Freedom

We celebrated our nation's independence on Sunday, July 4.

Regardless of how you celebrate, or the motives behind it, the topic of this post isn't about that. I'm eager to know how/if you celebrated in church. How many churches put on huge patriotic programs? Presentation of the colors? Pledge? National Anthem?

And is it right to do that?

I've spoken with a lot of people over the weekend who feel very passionately on both sides of the equations. Some feel that you absolutely should honor America and thank God for our freedom. That we should honor those who have fought for our freedom, recognize those currently serving and give a moment of silence for those who have fallen. Others feel that a worship service should be reserved for honoring Christ and Christ alone and to exalt any other above him, even if it is as thanksgiving, is wrong.

So, what's right and what's wrong? Is the church actually to blame for this? Have we programmed so much that it almost feels spiritual to do it? We make a big deal out of Mother's Day and Father's Day. We create all women ensembles and all men choirs. We preach about being a Godly mother/father. We reference all the great mothers and fathers of the Bible. We honor graduates. We present them with Bibles. We go all out for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day using "We need God back in America" as our sermon reference.

But the question is, is it the right thing to do?

Now don't get me wrong. I'm am 100% pro-America. Love, love, love it. I know all the patriotic songs. All the anthems to the branches of the military. I'm so thankful for our freedom. I'm so grateful to those who have served and are currently serving. I have a very, very dear friend who is in the Navy currently. I could never do what he does or what he has done.

Neither could I have ever done what Christ did for us when He purchased our freedom. Galatians 5:1 says, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." NIV. The song I posted about in my previous post says, "He is jealous for me." He wants all of us. He wants our worship. And we are created to do so.

I'm curious to hear your comments on how you see it. I did incorporate some Americana in our worship service this past week. Was it right? Was I really honoring God with it? A lady at our church said to me, "Why didn't we sing The Battle Hymn of the Republic today?" And for a minute I had to remember what that song was and then became so thankful to another church lady to gave me a book that is the story behind a lot of the old hymns. I was able to reference it for her. We sing that song like it's a battle cry. Like we're (America) supposed to kick everyone's butt and God will bless it. When in actuality, that song is written about chapters 18 and 19 in Revelation and how we as a people are no where near ready to see God's glory when that day comes. I wonder how that song got lumped into being patriotic when it's actually about Christ's return.

So where do you stand? Have we made our worship services a programmed event for special occasions? Some of us are too young to remember anything differently. When I attended a much, MUCH larger church for seven years, every patriotic holiday there was a big program featuring all the songs and other hoopla. I became conditioned to it. But was it right? Is it right? If we leave it out of worship does that make us ungrateful, inconsiderate or unamerican (I know that isn't a real word)? Does it mean we don't support our troops?

Is the national holiday we set aside for all these events enough or does it need to come into our worship time that is typically set aside for our worship of Christ.

Whatcha think?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Great post Matthew! Until now I have never really stopped to think about this. In the church that I grew up in I remember things being a little more amped up. Where I currently attend, it seems to be the same. But is it right or wrong...this is my thought. I tend to think that maybe we should bring recognition to the holiday. But at the same time should we not go all out every service? Yes, these holidays mean so much to each of us, especially regarding our freedoms, but I think that the ultimate freedom paid by Christ is the one that is most important and should be celebrated as equally each service. Just my thoughts!

Alicia Christie said...

Interesting. I went through a phase in college when I questioned whether or not our freedom here in America was actually a blessing. In so many places, faith spreads like wildfire when there is suffering and where Christian faith is not welcome. But here where we are free to worship God, so many choose not to. But back to your blog... I think that it is appropriate to be thankful for our freedoms and for the people who died so that we could have it, but I think that the motives of our hearts should be checked - Are we thankful for our freedom so we can have lives of ease, or are we thankful so that we can share and spread the hope of Christ? Unfortunately, it seems like the former is the way it is for many people.

On the side: I love the last verse of The Battle Hymn of the Republic. "As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free." It's from the Civil War, I believe, and I think it's right and good to pursue justice and equality for all people. It's just really important to view it all through the eyes of what Christ has done so that we can have an eternal perspective.

I think my comment was as long as a blog! I will update mine soon. Thanks for your post, I enjoy having to think through challenging and controversial topics.

metaphase said...

I've attended churches where all holidays were recognized (Mother's Day, Veteran's Day, etc. as you mentioned)and I went to a church where holidays were never mentioned, not a one, except Christmas and Easter. Church isn't the primary place for spiritual growth. Since we are to be worshipping God in our daily lives, in everything we do, and praying without ceasing, then Sunday is for corporate worship and fellowship with other believers. I don't think that excludes acknowledging anything else that is going on in the world. I know after 911, many sermons were preached on what happened. That doesn't mean we don't love God and worship Him. I think the church needs to be in touch with the world in order to reach people where they're at.
I also believe in balance in everything. I mean, if we just sang and talked only about July 4th, then that would be more of a history class than a church service. But I think there is such a parallel between our American freedom and the freedom we have through Christ, that it's worth a mention, especially when July 4 falls on Sunday or the weekend and we all know everyone is thinking about it anyway.
As an aside, our church sang the Star Spangled Banner at the beginning, then had regular church stuff, and sang "America" at the end of the service. That was the only mention of the holiday.