Monday, December 28, 2009

Welcome Back!

Whew.....

I feel like a college professor who has recently returned from sabbatical, which, by the way, I've always found particularly intriguing. I mean, to just leave work for like a year, but still get paid and not have to use vacation or sick time? I suppose that's how it works. I wouldn't know because I've never taken sabbatical.

But I digress.

It's been forever since we've last spoken and I wanted to make sure and update you on all that's been going on in our life, which I can say is just SO UNBELIEVABLY EXCITING.

Or not.

But first things first. You may recall this post where I mentioned some big news. It was so funny to read your responses. Everyone thought Sarah was pregnant.

By the way, Sarah is pregnant - due July 24.

But that wasn't the topic of that post because we didn't know she was pregnant. Apparently you all did and have an acute sense of her cycle and for that I salute you. I wish you all would have told me about your secret powers the week we decided to by a convertible VW Beetle and then the next week discover Sarah was pregnant with Celie.

But I'm no grudge holder. Well, sorta I am. But not about this.

Ok, moving on.

I have had the worst conviction recently about lifestyle. We've become a society of "gotta have it now." We have to have the latest and greatest. We blog so people have insight to our lives. We tweet so we know what people are doing every hour of the day. We facebook to "connect" with people we really don't even know that well. All this technology has made us very discontent. Everything in our world that is "consumer driven" is a convenience these days. After pondering this, I sat back and thought about all the things that make me angry.

  1. My wool trousers are wrinkled
  2. I can't eat pork tenderloin another night
  3. My garage is dirty
  4. Why can't my driveway be paved
  5. How are there still Styrofoam peanuts all over my yard
  6. My yard isn't healthy
  7. My wireless Internet is slow
And then it hit me. There are people in this world who don't even know if they're going to eat today. There are people in OUR world who don't understand plumbing or clean water or sanitation or medicine or school. There are children who go undernourished every single day.

All they want is something to eat and drink. All they want is a warm house and a bed to sleep in. A mommy and daddy to tell them "I love you." And these basic things - things we take for granted each and every day - are all they yearn for.

So, we decided to help. We have officially become sponsor parents to a little girl in El Salvador. Her name is Ana. She is 10 years old. We decided to use Compassion International to help us make this decision. It only takes $39 per month to give her medications, clothes, food and a spot back in school. Ana still lives with her parents. Her dad continuously goes from job to job in an attempt to provide for their family, but it's rarely enough.

I'm not trying to sound like Sally Strouthers here (speaking of, remember her commercials?), but all I'm saying is $39 can change a life. Can completely change a life. I researched a lot of international aid organizations and Compassion just seemed to be the right fit for us. They're a Christian organization who has received some of the highest ratings for their work.

It's $39 a month. And it completely changes the life of a child.

I'm not asking you to sign up with Compassion, but I am asking you to evaluate what's really important in life. Be thankful for what you have. Be kind. Be patient. Be respectful. Remember to tell people how much you love them. Remember that not everyone has it as easy as you, and chances are, if you're able to read this blog using a computer and an Internet access, you've got it pretty easy in the grand scheme of things.

It's a small contribution to make each month to have such a lasting impact.

So there you have it. That was my big news. We're sponsor parents! (And expecting parents too!!)

Have a great week!

4 comments:

The Traveling Turtle said...

I am so excited about this. You all have no idea. I wanted to do it for a while and we talked about it and decided it was a good fit for us. How awesome to be able to help those that are desperately in need. Not just a little down on their luck - but seriously in great need. These are people that don't work the system to see what they can get out of the Government b/c they are "owed" something for just being alive.... they are hard working people trying to make a way for their families. In a very scary place. I don't want to go on and on about it, but it makes me so happy to know that we can help. And change a life. Or two.

Jenny said...

Great post! these are the important things. How wonderful for celie to know Ana too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Love this post. Love your action. You may very well be changing the course of this girl's life- with the amount of cash we spend on a dinner out.