Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Happy 100!!!

It's been a year and a half since I started blogging and today, Wednesday, October 21, 2009, I celebrate my 100th post!!! I feel like there should be a cake somewhere....perhaps I'll find one.

Nope, just some goldfish crackers and string cheese.

I don't have anything special planned for this post. I actually didn't think that it would come so early, but I didn't want to miss it. You know, it's like when your car reaches an nice, big, round mileage number, like 40,000. You don't want to miss that. Of course, I missed mine. I remember looking down and seeing 40,029 and I thought it was like a bunch of little 29's giving me the finger. Once again, life takes a big dump on me. Oh well.

So anyway, it's my 100th post and something happened to me today that made me think it would be great blog material. It's this weird phenomenon that happens in the south (and perhaps all over the US.) This phenomenon is called "Now That You Have A Baby, You Are Interested In Everyone's Baby." Let me first give you the story.

When I was single and without child, people didn't seem to bother me with showing me pictures of their grandkids, talking about their new babies, etc. But once I got married and we had Celie - BAM - you are the recipient of all things "new baby."

Just today, I was in the mail room busily loading up a dolly with box after box of collateral that was shipped to me.

I would like to sidebar and tell you how horrible it is to do anything with a dolly at my office because my office is on, what I affectionately refer to as, "the Loft." It's on the 1 1/2 floor. You cannot access it by elevator. Nope. Just 24 (or 93, I can't remember) solid marble steps. Dollie + 24 marble steps + Matthew as the operator of dolly = DISASTER.

And in walks a co-worker. This is a co-worker I've blogged about before, but I can't remember what I called her in the blog and I'm far too lazy to go back and dig through NINETY NINE other posts to link it here, but she's the lady who reacts to everything as if a total and complete disaster has occurred. She walks in the mail room where I was and she was holding a very new baby. She said, "Matthew, would you like to see my new grandbaby??"

I mean, I really wanted to say no, but that would have been rude.

Matthew (holding a 32 pound box of privacy policies), "aww, how old?"

Co-worker: "Two weeks."

Matthew: "Great."

(awkward silence and staring.)

Co-worker: "Ok, well, I can see you're busy...."

Matthew: "uh huh."

I don't know her grandbaby. I just "know" her daughter. I don't have a relationship with her. Never have. Never will. So as I stand there staring at a baby I'll never see unless we happen to be in the Piggly Wiggly together, and even then I won't stop to chit-chat, all I can say in my head is:

"wow, Celie was so much cuter than her."

I'm pretty sure that is very un-Christian of me and I will confess that sin now, but really, I don't care about random people's babies just because I have one now. I get all the pictures sent through email of all my co-workers new grandchildren.

And I don't care about them.

I get to hear all the stories about so and so's niece who just had a baby and their birth story is then compared to my child's.

And I don't care about them.

I mean, just because I have a baby, doesn't make me madly in love with all babies. In fact, I barely like other babies. I barely like children - period. So, fast forward 15 minutes and I'm up in my office after practically killing myself getting up the stairs with dolly-o-crap and co-worker walks in.

Co-worker. "Just thought you would want to see her again before she left."

(really? Did you really think that? Because I can assure you, you. were. wrong.)

Matthew, "wow, ok. I know you're having fun with her." (But really I know she's not because the baby is two weeks old and literally they sleep 22 hours of the day and there's really nothing you can do except freak out, panic and hope that: they don't suffocate on their rock-hard mattress, they don't contract h1n1, they don't secretly have autism, you can keep the cradle cap at bay, you don't dry heave while looking at their belly button thingy and wonder if their poop should really be that color.)

Co-worker, "Yes, we're just having a ball."

- And I knew this was coming -

Co-worker, "So when are ya'll having another one????"

Matthew, "We're not. We're actually thinking about selling Celie to buy a new Honda Accord. Wouldn't that be awesome? Accords are so reliable."

Co-worker, "Well, I can see that you're busy."

(awkward silence and staring.)

sigh.

And for those of you who gasped when I said I would sell Celie for a Honda Accord.....I was OBVIOUSLY kidding.

I'd at least have to get a Lexus.

Happy 100th post to me!

5 comments:

Punkin said...

Well I will be the first to comment. You need to be ashamed of yourself. If you don't like children then why have them?? I actually felt embarrased reading your 100th blog. Maybe I took it too serious but good night,there are many beautiful, sweet and precious little babies out there. And if parents or GRANDPARENTS want to brag they have all the right. So if people read your blog everyone will know how you truly feel about children so beware. So anyone that has babies, children, dogs cats or what ever don't mention them to Matthew.

Punkin said...

Don't plan on receiving a "pound cake"

Matthew said...

Par for the course - my mother overreacts.

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Just checking your blog out, which only happens on occasion, and I must say I hope this is tongue-in-cheek; otherwise the most graceless, classless, egotistical thing I've come across in a very long time. Wisdom tells me to keep such a comment to myself, but the fact you share this sentiment proudly for the world to see makes it impossible for me not to respond-you are looking for responses,right, or do you think your erudite wit simply precludes the notion that some might find offense in your lack of judgment. God hope the world does not judge you with the same unkind eyes with which you so freely and impertinently pass judgment on it.

Matthew said...

Speaking of wow.

How stupid can you really be? Of course it's tongue in cheek. And of course you leave an anonymous comment - coward. You know nothing about me and the fact that you searched through at least three or four pages of old blog posts and then decided to grace us with all your "smart words" just warms my heart. Keep coming back. Maybe I'll post about you and how stupid you really sound.