Monday, July 27, 2009

Random Shmandom

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of the “Christmas in July” promotional campaign? I mean, who came up with that and why did they think it worked? I’m telling you, if I see one more Santa and Christmas Tree advertising “our new, low, low prices,” I think I might puke.

I don’t know why this post started this way, but it did.

America has endured yet another celebrity casualty. Alexis Cohen. Name not ring a bell? Well, let me clarify. She was the auditioner from American Idol Seasons eight and nine. In season eight, upon dismissal of her judges table performance, she proceeded to give Simon the finger and basically use every swear word in the English language. In the South, that would be called getting “cussed out.” Then she came back in season nine, MUCH MORE refined and polished, but as she was dismissed again, gave the finger and walked out to the sound of about 1 million censor beeps. Apparently she was the victim of yet another hit and run. Tragic.

Sigh.

How does this make the news? Just curious.

In local news, we are in week four of no TV (I think.) I have to say, I haven’t missed it. Ok, that’s a lie. I have missed it. I have missed turning on the Food Network every Sunday afternoon and just watching as I drift off into my 1-hour power nap. But that’s about it. We did watch last night’s episode of the Next Food Network Star (just to get caught up), but that’s been it. I almost feel cleansed if you can imagine. Not to mention I’m so disinterested in any celebrity these days that I could care less.

Isn’t it weird that the general blue-collar population of America is the exact ones to place celebrities on their pedestals? We go see their movies, we buy their music, we wear their clothes, we make them multi-millionaires…..and for what? Last I checked my missed calls, Sandra Bullock hasn’t given me a call. And don’t you love it how they get all put-out with “normal people” want autographs and pictures? It’s such a twisted, bizarre circle of indulgence – one I’m glad to be over.

Sidenote – my daughter is completely a piece of work. She has to be one of the funniest kids I’ve ever met. Geeze, her personality…..I can’t even put it into words. She’s at a really fun place right now. Although we seem to be ultra-attached to mommy right now, hopefully that will end because this Sunday in the nursery is not going to be pretty.

This weekend was the same as last minus all the rain. We ate with our friends again. Chicken Marsala. Oh heavenly Lord, it was so good. These people are going to cause me to go back to my original weight. That’s right, and it’s all their fault!!!! They are strapping me to the chair, holding me at gun point and forcing me to eat delicious Chicken Marsala. These Friday nights are a blast and Celie is having a great time spending the night with MeMe and PaPa. Now, if you mention that she’s going over there, that’s all she says, “MeMe, PaPa, swing-swing.” Sortof like this morning. I told Sarah that I think she knows the days of the week because when she got up, she started saying, “MeMe, PaPa.” She’s like a Mina bird.

Yesterday was a jam-packed day at church or “at the church house” as I like to say. The choir and praise team was spot-on and sounded amazing. I’m so proud of how my groups are growing. Someone actually made the comment that it was unbelievable how much both groups have grown. So nice to hear. I couldn’t believe this past Wednesday night when I received two new choir members. So encouraging – not to mention, after one rehearsal, they sang with us on Sunday morning! Now that’s some enthusiasm.

Before I go, I want to give a review of a product. I’ve never done this before but have always wanted to. It’s a CD actually and It’s quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites.



Jesus Saves Live by Travis Cottrell. Oh my. I want to do a play by play of each track if I may.
1) To the King: Brilliant in every way. An amazing song to open. It’s very driving – almost like you feel like you’re marching in an army with Jesus – which I suppose we will at some point.

2) Hallelujah, God is Here: Another great song. Up-beat and catchy. The first time I listened to it I wasn’t to interested, but now I love it. Well, I like it a lot.

3) Our God Saves: A great “pop-ballad.” It’s a great message and a song that you can’t get tired of singing.

4) I Will Sing of My Redeemer: In true Travis style, he recreates this old hymn to be one of my favorites on the entire CD. I’ve sung “I Will Sing….” For a while now and never once has it occurred to me that it could be so melodical and moving. Love, love, love this track.

5) My Inheritance: A strong contender for my favorite song on the CD. Keep in mind, there are four songs fighting for this position, this just happens to be one of them. I am obsessed with the harmonies in this song. Obsessed! And I don’t even know why. A great song from start to finish. It moves so smoothly, especially for a 6/8, so singable and the words are so stirring.

6) Praise the King: Ummmm, ok. Just keeping it real. Not a fan. I think I’m annoyed by the soloist which I believe is Cindy Morgan. It’s repetitive and I just don’t get into it.

7) Do It Lord: Awesome song!! I was not a fan the first few times I listened to it. I think this opinion was generated from the rhythm. I love it. It’s a happy song.

8) Jesus Is the Lord: YUMMY! Um. I can’t even. It’s so good. The harmonies will blow you out of the water. The lyrics will blow you out of the water. It’s such a strong song. Love!

9) Mercy Seat: Whoever the soloist is on this song needs a raise. It’s not that I want to hear an entire CD of her, but this girl works it out on this song. A very “Travis” song. Almost eerie.

10) Beth Moore narrative:

11) I Am Persuaded: Um, I want to sing this song both with Travis’ praise team and in my own church. Love it! One of my favorites. A GREAT song.

12) Victory In Jesus: A GREAT recreation of this southern gospel great.

13) Jesus Saves: Words cannot express how much I love this song. This one is so singable. It’s fantastic in every way.

14) In Christ Alone: This is what we’ll be singing before, during and after the rapture. This song is mind-blowing and Travis’ arrangement makes me want to take back things I never said. U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E! Worth purchasing the entire CD for this one track. No joke.


So, all in all, please go buy this CD. Trust me, I have no affiliation with Travis Cottrell, I wish I did. If I did, I probably wouldn't have the job I do (which I'm very thankful for, by the way.)

1 comment:

Sarah M. said...

Ok. Here's my take - ok, so really just my favorites.

I Am Persuaded. It's my favorite. Hands down. No questions asked. Choir must learn - especially if you can arrange for Bethie to speak out some scripture in there like she did! We'll learn it even if you can't arrange that though.

Praise the King. Yes it's Cindy Morgan. Used to like it, can still like it. This version almost seems like a song you should play after a great devastation (flood, hurricane, terrorist attack) when people turn back to God in praise.

Do It Lord. Love this one as well. 2nd favorite. I don't typically think we should tell God what to do, but it completely fits the verses! Choir must learn.

My Inheritance. Really like as well.

Ok...so I like all of them. But those are my top picks. Was hoping for a few more "new" songs...but it's all good.