Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Let This Blest Assurance Control.......

Does anyone know where the title of this blog comes from?

It's part of the second verse of the greatest hymn ever written, "It Is Well With My Soul." The verse says, "though Satan should buffet, though trials should come, let this blest assurance control, that Christ has regarded my helpless estate and hath shed his own blood for my soul." It's truly my favorite hymn of all time.

Sarah and I have a game we play....mostly in the car, but has made an appearance in other random locations: the grocer, while washing dishes, while playing with Celie. It's basically Name That Tune, just our style. You see, I am an aficionado of all things "church music." I know more hymns than most people and I know the most obscure verses. Sarah...........not so much. While Sarah was raised in church, she never paid attention to the words of the songs. She only listened to the melodies as she was an outstanding young trumpeteer and as anyone with a musical background knows, trumpets, 99% of the time, carry the melody.

So, I'll start singing an old hymn (mostly because I know she's not going to know the next phrase) and then stop and she's supposed to pick up where I left off. For example, I'll sing:

"Guide me O thou great Jehovah......" and Sarah will hum some combination of the words, Jesus, Cross and Died for me. This is completely incorrect mind you. Everyone knows it's "Pilgrim though this barren land." Sometimes, once I tell her the phrase, I'll make her sing it again so I can sing the harmony part(s).

Then it's Sarah's turn. She'll dig up some song from the 80's that I have never heard before, which is most of them. Sarah had a much older brother who was always "rockin' out" so she knows tons and tons of songs - I do not, as I spent most of my childhood listening to Bill Gaither, The Cathedrals, or the Chipmunks. If you don't know who Bill Gaither or The Cathedrals are, they are legendary southern gospel artists. I do not like southern gospel music at all at present.

I almost never get the songs right that she tests me with. It's a fun and silly game. Somehow it makes me feel superior knowing that I know all these church hymns. I'm not sure how I feel superior because I think I'm the only one in the world who is impressed by it.

I encourage each of you to start playing your own version of Name That Tune. It's fun, it's easy, it's cheap. It can also provide countless hours of fun for the whole family.

Ok, name it: "The moon shines full at his command......"

Sing on people, sing on!

3 comments:

The Traveling Turtle said...

FINALLY! some recognition. :)

Anonymous said...

and all the stars obey.....

Anonymous said...

Okay Matthew, give credit where credit is due!!! The reason you know so many hymns is when you were small thats what we sang at church. And watching( I know you don't like to admit it) the Gaithers.