Thursday, August 7, 2008

Champion of Diapers?

When we were expecting our little "pork chop" aka Celie, we were so fortunate to be the recipients of several baby showers. Four to be exact. We were completely overwhelmed (in the good way) with the amount of gifts given. One of these gifts was the Diaper Champ.

You know what I'm talking about.

It's the garbage can-esque repository for soiled diapers. There is another version. It's called the Diaper Genie. The Champ is very basic. It doesn't require special bags, batteries, a college degree or anything like that. You simply take a plastic bag from Target, your local grocer, etc. and you put it in the hole and close the lid and wha-la! Diaper in a bag for you. Apparently the Genie requires very special bags that almost turn the diapers into a sausage. Then before you know it, you have this insanely long "tube" of dirty diapers. It's almost like an insect.

We were heavily discouraged by several new parents to stay away from the Genie and only go with the Champ. I personally didn't understand why we had to have one. I sorta get it now. Here's the thing that I'm bitter about and no one told me. THE SMELL.

Now, let's face it, I know what poop smells like. It's not gardenias. And I also know that a baby's poop is not going to be pleasant. Specifically our baby's because I know who her mother is (if you know what I'm sayin'.) Anyway, I knew that it wasn't going to smell "nice". It's dirty diapers for crying out loud. But no one prepared me for the putrid stench that could seep out from that thing. I feel like we're almost being punished by the Champ.

Do I leave diapers in there for a few days? Sure. Isn't that what it's for? But Lord have mercy. It's come to the point where when you flip the little conveyor over that you have to hold your breath. Who knew t-t could smell so badly. At this point, I'd rather sit in baby poop than smell the t-t.

I took the Champ out on the back porch this morning to let it air out. I also decided to spray it with Clorox Kitchen Cleanup (with Lemon!!) so now it smells like a bleachy lemon that's been covered in t-t. YUM. I don't know....I'm temped to go without. Do we really need it? Can't we just use the kitchen garbage? I mean, it gets taken out about every two days anyway.

I can no longer deal with the Champ. If the smell isn't gone by the time we get home, it's over. I'm breaking up with Champ. We'll have to find a different solution. Celie's going to have to get potty trained quickly....this diaper business is for the birds..........or maggots.

3 comments:

The Traveling Turtle said...

NO we cannot get rid of the Champ. and NO we cannot put them in the kitchen garbage you claim goes out every 2 days. IF it does go "out" it is to the garage to sit there and stink up the whole thing until Wednesday morning at the last minute before the garbage people come. AND - who wants to see that nasty bag hanging from the dresser every day? It would drive me up a freaking wall. The soultion: changing the Champ more than once a week - maybe like every 2 days.

Alyson said...

You could just throw down and get a Genie...we haven't had any problem with the smell at all, and believe me, Ella has definitely put it to the test! Yes, the tube of diapers can be unwieldy to carry downstairs for us, but other than that, we love it. The refills are always on sale at Target; we've only gone through one ring of refills since Ella came along.

Punkin said...

I agree with the traveling turtle, if you empty the thing and not wait till it is so full and not one more diaper can fit in it would be fine. I was so shocked of the smell of old T-T. It will take your breath away as it has mine because it is always full when I keep Celie. I just hold my breath and then I can't push the thing over and I have to end up changing it myself. I am wondering if this is a trick for Meme to change the bags. I wouldn't put anything past Matthew as he is cleaver:(