Thursday, April 24, 2008

First Shots

10:30 AM. Celie's first shots at the pediatrician's office.

We knew this probably wasn't going to be a day-o-fun. I was nervous and so was Sarah. Celie was so happy today, smiling at us all the time, playing with her bunny....***sidebar, "bunny" is an actual bunny rabbit, well, not actual like a living bunny, but a stuffed animal bunny that hangs from her overhead mirror in her papazan bouncy seat. She LOVES this bunny. At times we think she loves this bunny more than she loves us, but that's a different post.***

All I could think about was how this day was going to end up. Post shots that is. I had basically worked myself up to the point of nausea, which is great. So we go in, talk to the Dr. who says that Celie looked great to her. She weighed in at just under 13 pounds, 23.5 inches long and an equally large head, but proportional to her body, THANK GOD.

As we talked, we discussed SIDS, Autism, Chicken Pox, Celie's legs, spitting up (which Celie has only done about 4 times her entire life), sitting up, tummy time and introducing food to the formula (not now of course). Let me stop and say how terrified I am of SIDS. It's the craziest thing. You see, Celie sleeps on her stomach (gasp and call the department of children and families) and so the very thought of that terrifies me. So after learning that Celie was in the 90th percentile for her size, it was time for the shots.

The nurse came in and Sarah immediately left the building - literally. I laid Celie down and the next thing I know the nurse is telling me to pin her arms down. HUH???? I'm like, what is about to go down here? So I do it and I see three, seemingly gigantic needles come out and into my sweet baby's legs. She looked at me in complete panic. One second she's smiling at me and the next screaming. I felt so bad because I couldn't warn her. I knew it was coming and she didn't and that's not fair. She had no idea what was about to happen. Then she screamed for about 21 seconds and I immediately grabbed her up while restraining my own tears.

She eventually calmed down and went to her mommy. She went straight to sleep when she got home. I'm hoping that her little legs aren't sore or bruised or that she doesn't get a fever. How can something that's supposedly so good for you be so bad?

I don't want to relive that again, but I know I will in about two more months.

Ugh.

No comments: