Friday, July 16, 2010

Shout Out to Twila!

I am obsessive.

Really, really obsessive.

But only about certain things.

Music is one of them. When I find or hear a new song that I love, I play it to death. To. Death. To the point of me hating it. Like, I will burn a rut in a CD. It's crazy. I am bestest friends with the repeat button and an iPod playlist.

(does anyone else obsess like this???)

Well, I'm currently hooked on a song. I'd like to take you back to 1985. I was six years old. The average cost of a new home was $89,000. The average price of a new car was $9,500. Gas was $1.09 per gallon. A stamp was $0.22. John Gotti had Paul Castellano killed and a lady named Twila Paris wrote the song "He Is Exalted."

I don't know how or why, but I am feelin' this song. I love it. I have always loved it. I love everything about it: the words, the chord progression, the harmonies. All of it. And we're singing it this Sunday.

I don't know why I'm so addicted. I think because it's basically all about exalting our God and just telling Him how wonderful He is. I mean, can you really ever tire of that?

"He is exalted, the King is exalted on high.
I will praise Him.
He is exalted, forever exalted, and I will praise His name.
He is the Lord, forever His truth will reign.
Heaven and Earth, rejoice in His holy name.
He is exalted, the King is exalted on high."

It's such a simple song. But I love it.

I.

Love.

It.

I pray the Lord uses it this week in our Worship Service.

Now, I need someone to really update it. Just make it crazy relevant (instrumentally and vocally.) I mean, we can always improve, right?

Is Travis Cottrell, Travis Ducette, Paul Baloche, Brooke Fraser or Charles Billingsley reading this?

Oh, no?

Ok then.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love this song too!!!!! I am now singing it in my heart too. It ranks up there with so many others, I will not go through the list right now. I am a rut wearer too. This song was on the rut for quite a while and I agree that Travis could do it justice. Someone should let him know we are making a formal request.

metaphase said...

I also use that button on my ipod a lot. I know this song, and I like it, too. Clearly, not as much as you do....:)
I did the whole obsessive thing a little while back with Pearl Jam's "Daughter". Weird. I don't even like Pearl Jam, but I couldn't get enough of that song...