Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy Anniversary to ME!

Last Friday was my and Sarah’s five-year wedding anniversary. It’s funny, I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. Forty-five minutes before the ceremony I was at Dairy Queen. I wasn’t even nearly ready – in the physical sense. Like, I was not showered or anything. So funny how fast time flies by. Just looking at our wedding party……

Matron of Honor – Jennifer – Sarah’s sister. Then, married, no children. Now, still married with a two-year old Lylah.

Maid of Honor – Jennifer – Sarah’s best friend. Then, single, no children. Now, married with a little girl Emma.

Bridesmaid – Becky – dear friend of both of ours. Then, married, no children. Now, still married (shock…kidding…lol), with two children, Luke and Taylor.

Bridesmaid – Kristen – our good friend and Sarah’s co-worker. Then, single, no children. Now, married, two children Walker and Cauley.

I could do the same for my side, but I’ll spare you all the exciting details. The point is, our lives change so fast and they change in a really big way. I would never have guessed that we would have a little zany, brilliant, hysterical baby girl at this point. If you told me that five years ago, I would have said, “yeah right.” But even though some things change so fast, other things remain the same.

I still laugh at/with Sarah just as hard as I used to five years ago. I still prefer hanging out with her over anyone else. I still find all her obsessive tendencies completely charming and hysterical. She is just as over dramatic today as she was five years ago. Ah, yes……..this reminds me of a story……

We were living at our first house in Lynn Haven on Virginia Ave. It had an enormous yard with, oh, I don’t know, maybe a MILLION pine trees. Nothing irritated me more than doing yard work in that stupid yard. Especially when all I had was a push mower. So we’re outside working and I ask Sarah to take over the mowing while I did something else. I was bored of it by the third hour. She said she had never mowed grass before (red flag #1). So I demonstrated just how simple it was.

Off she goes. She’s a mowing machine (red flag #2.) And then………she doubles over, falls to the ground panting saying she’s having a heart attack. I was totally confused! I was like, “what, you’re having a heart attack?????” To which she responds, “oh yes, I’m definitely having a heart attack – HELP!” While she’s writhing around on the ground like a fish out of water (red flag #3), I go in to get her some water.

Did you know ice water can stop a heart attack immediately? Well, in Sarah’s case it did. She drank and was like, “whew, that’s better.” Of course, she refused to mow anymore since the lawn mower was a carrier of the heart attack disease.

A similar story happened at this same house, except this time, Sarah was raking and happened to rake up a snake in her pine straw pile. Well, it fell on her foot and she started screaming and crying uncontrollably. I mean – UNCONTROLLABLY. Sobbing. Hysterically. I could understand her pain. Well, let’s say I could have understood her pain had I not been on my knees laughing so hard that I t-t’d on myself a little.

Ah yes, five years and counting. The woman who cries at EVERY episode of The Biggest Loser and Extreme Home Makeover, who could eat Mexican food everyday of her life, who can’t have one article of dirty clothing anywhere in the house, who gets high on buying in bulk, who craves red meat like a cowboy, who has made me look at old family photos of her until I’m blue in the face, who is completely obsessed with makeup – hair products and handbags, who made me memorize her high school fight song, who is the most perfect mother to our daughter, who makes me smile everyday, who never fails to tell me she loves me even when we leave from lunch, who makes our house a home……..this is the woman I’ve been married to for five years and I cannot wait for the next five, ten, fifteen, twenty, twenty-five (well, she’s much older than me so she’ll probably be dead by then), but this is the woman I love – forever.

Happy Anniversary!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, that is the sweetest thing I have ever read.

Anonymous said...

So great, you guys. I love the last paragraph. Oh, and nice cover saying you'd rather hang out with her over anyone ELSE...:)I kid, I kid..sort of.

Anonymous said...

Yes happy Annivesary to two of my favorite people in the world--I love you both soooo much and am so happy Matthew finally made it to our family!!!! Also you did not mention but I will tell everyone--that at the time you two got married Phil and I (sarahs' parents) were not married either--we had been divorced for 16 years--now happily married again for three years!!! so there--love does make the world go round!!!

Mom (Joyce Elaine to you Matthew!!!)