Wednesday, October 8, 2008

5 Years Already?




I've been meaning to write about this for at least two months - but didn't. The cast net story was much too good to pass up and whenever I get a minute to write, I don't want to disappoint.

August 16, 2003 was a fun day. I was living in Pensacola, FL. Sarah and I had been dating for a while now. I knew Sarah was supposed to be my wife. My Grandmother (Nanny) is still convinced that she "prayed" Sarah to me......at this point, I'm pretty sure I agree with her because I am a lot to deal with - lol. Sarah and I had all the appropriate talks, played all the silly question and answer games where I would ask the most ambiguous questions which were obviously about me, but I was "hypothetically" asking them. You know the type...."So Sarah, what qualities do you want your future husband to have?" And then checking-off, in my head, the qualities I possessed - while forcing myself to believe I had all the others too.

So...it was Saturday and I decided that today would be the day I asked Sarah to marry me. Since we had already discussed marriage, she knew I had a ring. She was simply waiting for the day I was going to give it to her. Those of you that know me know that I am the absolute worst secret-keeper in the world. For example, when I buy Sarah's Christmas gift, I usually give it to her the next day. I can't help it!!!!!

So back to the ring. I had it...and it was stunning!!!!! Well, it still is stunning. I had it hiding in a drawer in my room. I looked at it everyday. I think I cleaned it every three days because I wanted it to be perfect for her. So since she knows we're getting married, she decided to go dress shopping. That's right - wedding dress shopping - with no engagement ring. Funny. So she and our good friend "Boopa" came back from dress shopping and apparently "she found it". I laughed so hard just thinking what she must have looked like in the bridal boutique...."well, yes ma'am, I know we're getting married, I just don't have a ring yet, that's all."

I saw when they pulled up in the car and I ran and put the ring in my back pocket. She came in and we decided to go downtown for lunch at one of our favorite places Dharma Blue. On the way down, Sarah was like a school girl asking for the ring and hitting my pockets to try and feel it, which she never could because it was in the back pocket - ha ha ha. So I really played it up. I was trying to sound irritated like..."well, if you want me to go back and get it, I will, but it won't be a surprise." She said disappointedly, "no, that's ok...I'll just wait."

So we made it downtown and I started walking toward the park instead of the restaurant. I was like "let's go walk through the park" - which should have been a major red flag since I don't ever want to walk anywhere. So we did and sat on a bench and I pulled out a card and asked her to read it. It was a sweet card, nothing overly dramatic. She thought it was sweet and thanked me for it. Then I pulled out another card and asked her to read it out loud. It of course said, "will you marry me?" While she was reading, I was on my knee with her ring.

She said yes - obviously.

We had lunch, picked out invitations and secured a location all in the same day! We were a power-shopping-pre-wedding couple!!! We had a great engagement that taught us a lot about love and each other. We had a beautiful wedding with all our family and friends at a beautiful spot. It was exactly what we wanted.

We have now grown to a home-owning couple with a seven month old sweet baby and the cutest puppy (3 years old) around. I love Sarah today more than ever. We are the best of friends. We know each other better than anyone else. I can't believe it's been five years since our engagement and almost five (May 22) since our wedding day. I couldn't have picked a better wife - well, I didn't. God did.

I'm so happy I have her - forever!


3 comments:

The Traveling Turtle said...

Oh Noozie -

I love you so much. You are my prince and I love you more than you could ever know!

Punkin said...

Oh Matthew that wanted me to just cry. So very touching and sweet. You are a very good husband and father. But, why is Sarah taking her clothes to Goodwill? Just one baby??

Anonymous said...

Punking puts it out there. What a beautiful wedding it was, primarily because of the medly of your family and friends.